Monday, June 14, 2010

Desserts: Che Thai

This is quite possibly the best Vietnamese dessert I have ever had. Che Thai, adapted from a Thai dessert, is a sort of soupy concoction of fruits served over ice. I am usually not a fan of Vietnamese che, which can range from a gelatanous texture resembling runny boogers (sorry for the gross description, but that's how it looks like to me) with all sorts of beans and jelly treats to a milky smooth texture. I always found Vietnamese che too sweet and the fruit condiments (which often come out of a can in the States) not fresh, so I wasn't all that excited about che thai when my family suggested I try some. What I had at Y Phuong, however, a very popular Che Thai joint in Saigon, erased all of my discriminations about Vietnamese che from the first spoonful of goodness I scooped in my mouth.

Y Phuong is among the many che thai restaurants the line the street of Nguyen Tri Phuong in District 10 and is the most popular. The place takes up three buildings with multiple floors that quickly fill up in the evening.

The place has all types of che, but che thai is the local favorite. What makes the che thai at Y Phuong than any other place is that the milk is the perfect amount of sweetness and the fruits are fresh. The typical cup of che thai with everything is served with creamy durian at the top, coconut jelly, grass jelly, jackfruit, lychee, and a few more exotic fruit I was unable to recognize. You can also customize your che thai to your liking, which is good for many who are not especially fond of eating the notoriously smelly durian fruit. But, I will say that the durian makes the dessert--the creaminess of the durian topping balancing the sweetness of the milk.

One cup was around 17,000 dong--less than $1.

For those on the go with a craving for che thai, there is also a roadside pickup right outside of the restaurant. Packaged in little plastic baggies and stored in ice, you can just zoom up on your motorbike and pick up a bagful to bring home for your family to enjoy.


My goal is to return to this place as often as I can while I am in Vietnam. You can't find che thai as fresh as this anywhere in the States.

Y Phuong
380, Nguyen Tri Phuong
Q10, HCMC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'r always find good junk food um ummmm.